Things to Expect
Why is supportive periodontal care important?
Without proper supportive care, your progress in eliminating and controlling problems can be lost. Even with daily, conscientious brushing and flossing, plaque and calculus will continue to build up and can kick off a new infection. Regular visits will allow our practice to find and treat any problems before they get worse.
Who should perform supportive periodontal therapy?
Each case is different, but more severe cases may indicate that you follow up with Dr. Malek. Her conservative approach to treatment will include consultation with you and your dentist to decide on the right course of supportive care.
Your maintenance/supportive periodontal care visit may include:
- Discussion of any changes in your health history
- Examination of your mouth tissues for abnormal changes
- Measurement of the depth of pockets around your teeth
- Assessment of your oral hygiene habits and provision of instruction
- Removal of bacterial plaque and tartar
- X-ray film studies to evaluate your teeth and the bone supporting your teeth
- Examination of your teeth for decay and other dental problems
- Check-up on the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Application or prescription of medications to reduce tooth sensitivity or other problems you are experiencing
How often should you have supportive periodontal services performed?
The severity of your original condition will help determine how often you should return for supportive services. In addition, your rate of plaque growth, your response to treatment, and how well your home oral health care program is going will help Dr. Malek decide on the length of time between visits. Generally, they will be scheduled every 3-6 months.
What is the relationship between your dentist and Dr. Malek?
Dr. Malek will continue to work closely with your regular dentist throughout your treatments. As a team, they’ll provide a complete range of dental and periodontal care. You’ll still continue to see your dentist for dental check-ups, while Dr. Malek will monitor your periodontal health. If she should spot the need for a filling during a visit, she will refer you to your dentist for this service. Likewise, your dentist will inform Dr. Malek if they should notice any problems that require her follow-up.